Sunday, November 25, 2012

Entering the holiday danger zone...

Happy Thanksgiving!

I had a great time with the girlfriend's family. I also had some great catch up phone calls with my family. That's what the season is about, right, remembering to take time to keep in touch and reconnect.

Oh yea, there's the other thing that it's all about -- nasty delicious food! I tried to be good on Thanksgiving, I did. I skipped breakfast in anticipation of a 2pm feast. I also skipped trying the pre-feast apple pie that some people dug into with the fervor of true carb-addicts. Yes, I was being good. Then 5:30 came: finally time to dig in.

I had a good mix of turkey, broccoli, asparagus, stuffing, and berries. I avoided the rolls (mostly :)) and then the pie came out. I had a reasonable slice of pumpkin, then a good slice of apple, then another good slice of apple, then some chocolate chip cookies. Let me tell you, after only a couple of weeks off of SAD, all those carbs and sugar really messed me up. I felt pretty terrible, and fell asleep really early.

Since then I've been doing the best I can to detox. Yesterday I had lots of leftover turkey with avocado and lettuce -- yum! I've been trying to avoid grains and dairy as best I can, but sometimes it's unavoidable, like in delicious nearly paleo gumbo. A little bit here and there doesn't seem to make me feel bad though.

I feel much better even just a few days after the Thanksgiving Day Massacre! I am learning how to deal with the social situations, and even more so, how to deal with myself and adjust my lifelong bad relationship with food.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment